Do you ever wake up and look in the mirror and feel like you’re simply not enough. When you look in the mirror, who do see? What do you see? There have been times in my life (not long ago – if we’re going to be honest) when I have looked into the mirror and all I could see were my many faults. The list was long as I accused myself of being a terrible mom, not so great wife, my shortcomings were too many that God simply couldn’t use me the way I so desperately want to be.
I heard a message one day and the pastor made a comment that our thoughts are influenced one of two ways –either by God or by Satan. I thought about that and I began to realize that most of my negative thoughts were accusations against myself over the mistakes I have made. I began to realize that as I entertained the lie that I wasn’t good enough, it began to sap my confidence and made me feel like a failure at life itself. I knew that the accusations/lies weren’t true. John 8:32 says, “You will know the truth and the truth will set you free”. But how on earth do I find out what the truth is? 2 simple steps!
- Look in the bible. The Bible is chalked full of verses that describe who you are, simply because He created you, you are His child and He loves you; plain and simple.
- Ask God. Yup,… you read correctly. God loves you and that means He loves spending time with you and chatting with you. Give it a try sometime; ask Him, “ God, what do you think of me”? If you are truly hearing the voice of God, you’re going to be super encouraged by what you hear. God has a wonderful way of sharing with us exactly what we need to hear when we need it most.
Once you know what God says about you, when the accuser (satan) rolls around for another visit in your mind, you can easily pull out your verses, and what God thinks of you and you can tell the accuser, “Stuff it and shut it!! Why? Because this is what GOD thinks of me. I choose to align my thoughts with what God says. I refuse to partner with the lie that I am not enough.”
I want to encourage you in this; Remind yourself! Remind yourself of what God thinks of you. Remind yourself of what His Word says about you. Remind yourself that even though we are all flawed we are still precious in His sight. Here is a short list of positive things God thinks about you and the scriptures where you can find them.
- I am smart, because I have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16, Philippians 2:5)
- I am precious. (Isaiah 43:4)
- I am forgiven. (Ephesians 1:7)
- I am strong. (Colossians 1:11)
- I am a conqueror. (Romans 8:37)
- I am called by God. (2 Timothy 1:9)
- I am loved. (Romans 1:7, Ephesians 2:4, Colossians 3:12, 1 Thessalonians 1:4)
- I am worth dying for. (Romans 5:8)
- I am worth living for. (Romans 6:4)
- I am created by God therefore I AM ENOUGH! (Psalms 139:13-14)
Be brave! Have courage!